Since I trimmed my nails shorter than usual, I decided to do black tips and made an attempt at nail art. I didn't know what I was doing but what the hey! The stripes aren't so clean and straight and I couldn't find a toothpick for the dots until I did my left hand (pictured on the right side) so you can see the difference. I think I should have done three dots by the diagonal line instead of four, but it's all good. If you're interested, here's what I did:
- Apply a clear base coat.
- Paint a black tip and freehand a smile line as best as you can. I used 2 coats of Pure Ice Black Rage.
- Paint a wide diagonal white stripe from the bottom inner corner of your nail to the upper outer corner. The "inner" side of your nail is the thumb side (at least to me). Overlap the white strip over the black tip. I used 2 coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On.
- Paint a thin black stripe on the center of the white stripe. I used So Easy Stripe Rite from Sally Beauty Supply. If you make a mistake with this brand of polish (it's paint), you can take it off with alcohol without disturbing the polish underneath.
- Use a toothpick to apply 3 dots to the smile line and 4 dots next to the bottom white stripe.
- Apply a top coat and you're done!