Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Welcome To My Joint!

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. Click on any picture to enlarge and view the Disclaimer at the very bottom.

I Found a New HG Mascara! REVIEW: Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof



A REPLACEMENT

I've been looking for a replacement for my beloved Max Factor 2000 Calorie Waterproof mascara, since they don't ever have BOGOs anymore, and Max Factor products will no longer be sold in the US early next year. Boo! I'm guessing Carmen Electra wasn't such a great help for their products?

Although 2000 Calorie Aqua Lash defines, lengthens and volumizes my lashes in one coat, the one con about that mascara is that it flakes, like many waterproof mascaras. But I found something better that knocks down 2000 Calorie a notch or two...

MAYBELLINE VOLUM' EXPRESS TURBO BOOST WATERPROOF MASCARA



  • PRODUCT NAME: Pay special attention to the exact name of the product since there are 4 other Volum' Express Mascaras. Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof is packaged in a black tube with a gray cap and is only available in Very Black.
  • PRICE: ~$7 - $8
  • AMOUNT: 10 ml (0.34 fl. oz.)
  • WHERE: Found just about anywhere
  • BRUSH/WAND TYPE: Normal type of brush; not rubber or plastic
  • BRUSH/WAND SHAPE: Fairly skinny with a slight taper at the tip. When viewed on end, the brush is shaped like a rounded-off triangle.
  • TEXTURE: Smooth, creamy gel-like texture that's not as wet as Clinique High Impact and not thick, dry or gloppy.
  • PRODUCT CLAIMS: Will give you "5X volume and builds instantly." "Speed Expand waterproof formula and Turbo Brush take volume up to 5x in one clean stroke." (NOTE: The washable Turbo Boost claims to volumize 7x.)



INGREDIENTS


THE RESULTS

One coat = one dip, several strokes (enough to coat all lashes). Can you see the obvious difference?


Again, with one coat. It looks a little blah here in this picture but the other pics do it justice.


Top view


One coat


THE PROS & CONS

PROS
  • VERY MINIMAL FLAKING - This is the only waterproof mascara I've tried with practically no flaking. I'll get about 3 - 5 itty bitty dots upon application, but they're hardly noticeable and flick off easily with my fingernail or a small fan brush. That's a wonderful thing for a waterproof mascara. (Maybelline Full 'N Soft Waterproof flakes like crazy - all over my nose and cheeks when I apply it, after I finish my makeup, before I leave the house, and while I'm out. I'll never buy that again!)
  • DEFINES, LENGTHENS AND VOLUMIZES IN ONE COAT - One coat to me is one dip of the brush with several brushstrokes.
  • WATERPROOF- You'll never know when you might bust out crying so I always use waterproof mascara. This holds up all day without smudging or flaking, too.
  • AFFORDABLE- This is around $8 or less but even cheaper when there's a BOGO special. Drugstore mascara is so much more affordable than higher end brands.
  • SKINNY BRUSH - This allows me to get close to the base of my lashes without poking my eye out, like with fuller brushes. I hardly get mascara on my eyelids, either.
  • NO FOUL ODOR - Has a very nice, decent smell and it's not stanky like Maybelline Lash Stiletto
  • BUILDABLE - One coat gives you nicely defined natural-looking lashes, but you can apply two coats for a more dramatic look. (See pics below)
  • EASY TO FIND - You can find this at all drugstores, Target and Walmart
  • DOESN'T CLUMP - Hardly ever applies a glob of product but if it does, just keep stroking the brush up and it will brush right off
  • HOLDS CURL - Doesn't weigh down my lashes and doesn't curl down my lash tips like Maybelline Define-A-Lash Volume (hate that one!)
  • SOFT LASHES - Doesn't make my lashes feel stiff or too brittle

CONS
  • CAP DOESN'T CLICK SHUT - On some mascaras, the cap will click into place when you've turned it to the right place. This mascara doesn't, and I feel like I have to really tighten it or else it might not be properly shut.
  • LASH COMB - If you apply two or more coats, you'll probably need a lash comb to separate your lashes.
  • ONE COLOR - This only comes in Very Black.
  • NOT ENOUGH RECOGNITION - This wonderful mascara doesn't get props! I've never even heard of it, either, until I bought it on a whim.
  • YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary because mascara is that one makeup item that gives different results for everyone. So I can't promise that you'll get the same results that I did.
DRAMA

Two coats applied for a more dramatic look.


My lashes look much thicker and darker with two coats than one. Compare this with the previous pics. I'm happy with just one coat, though.


NOTE: I had no eye makeup on before or after applying the mascara except for a light shimmery eyeshadow on the lids, inner corners and lower lashlines. No eyeliner, either.

A shout out goes to my $1 elf Eyelash Curler. I love this thing!


FINAL THOUGHTS

I LOVE Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof Mascara! The name is too dang long, though, and I don't see the wittiness in the name. Why not just call it Volume instead of Volum'?

Anyway, if you're looking for a waterproof drugstore mascara, with a skinny, non-rubber brush that doesn't flake and gives you length and volume, then you may want to check this out. Just remember, I can't promise you anything since everyone will get different results.

********************

If you have this or if you try this, let me know how it worked out for you. What's your favorite mascara?

My Favorite Mascaras Ranked in Order:
  1. Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof
  2. Clinique High Impact
  3. Max Factor 2000 Calorie Aqua Lash
  4. Maybelline Intense XXL Volume + Length Waterproof Microfiber

(Hope you ignored my bloodshot eyes.)
Copyright © 2009 Lady Lostris

4 comment(s):

Joanne said...

Hey! This is my HG too :-). Something I just recently discovered is that this mascara is also a great base -- top it off with some lengthening mascara (e.g. lash stiletto or define-a-lash) and you have super lashes! Whether or not the second mascara is waterproof doesn't matter for hold because turbo boost w/p holds curl well.

Unknown said...

awesome post!! You can see a huge difference. Its amazing. I used to think that all mascaras are the same lol. But theyre not. The brush wand and the formula are very important.

oh by the way, my friend just txted me right now saying theres a huge truck of Maybelline on Hollywwod and HIghland giving away free lipstick lol. I wouldve gone but im comfortable sitting here lol.

Have a great weekend.

charlene-ann said...

ohhhhhh lashes! they are bangin :) i definitely want to try this out...glad you liked it

Lady Lostris said...

@Joanne, that's good to know! I think I like it by itself, though, since it already gives me great results. I LOVE it!!!

@Becky, thank you! LoL about the Maybelline truck. Too much traffic anyways, huh? Haha

@charlene-ann, thanx hun! If you try it, let me know how it worked for you because I'm wondering if it will give great results to everyone. I freaking love it now! =D

 
Lady Lostris Beauty | TNB