Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Welcome To My Joint!

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. Click on any picture to enlarge and view the Disclaimer at the very bottom.

My "GoTo Palette"


My GoTo Palette consists of eyeshadow colors I use on a regular basis. So instead of making an all brown palette, or an all green or all purple palette like many people do, I decided to make one palette that I can open to do a look with, without having to open other palettes at the same time.

At first, I was going to order the empty 28 pan palette from Stars Makeup Haven , but I decided to save my money and just pop out the insert in a MAC palette that I already own. That way, instead of only holding 15 shadows, it will hold almost twice as much - 26 shadows. Many other people do this, as well, and all you have to do is pry some tweezers under one corner and pull the insert out.



Now, on to the pics and swatches. You'll see that I mostly like browns, pinks, peaches, golds and greens. Sorry, no blues or purples because I don't wear those colors too often. And there's a mix of brands here, from low end ($1) to high end ($14.50). Watch out for the dupe info in the color descriptions.

All shadows were swatched heavily over Scandalous Cosmetics Eyeshadow Magnet. Colors can vary depending on application method and type of base.

Left Half


Right Half


Click to enlarge. All shadows are labeled.





1. NYX Barely There: Satin pale gold
2. NYX Highlight*: Matte creamy yellow; it won't look that yellow when you apply it as a highlight - I packed it on, remember?
3. MAC Tete-A-Tint: Matte peachy color with fawn brown undertones; apply it as a wash for a more natural look
4. Milani Illusion: Sheer, shimmery light pink with gold duochrome; this color won't look like the swatch unless you pack it on well; I like to layer this over other colors; it's very unique
5. MAC Expensive Pink: Veluxe pearl; shimmery peachy-pink with gold duochrome
6. MAC Bold & Brazen (LE): Starflash finish (I really don't know how to describe the difference of this finish with others, but it's more shimmery without being glittery or sparkly); shimmery mid-tone peach; DUPE- the light color in the L'Oreal HIP Duo in Playful (click here for swatch)
7. Milani Flare: Shimmery orange with peach tones; DUPE- MAC Coppering



8. NYX Brown: Matte, medium warm-toned brown; I like the single better but this will do; this is great in the crease or just above it
9. NYX Suede: Matte cool-toned brown; DUPE- MAC Wedge
10. Wet n Wild Fine Wink*: Shimmery champagne-pink; LOVE this as a lid color; DUPE- MAC Naked Lunch; (howto depot)
11. MAC All That Glitters: Veluxe pearl; shimmery peachy-champagne-beige; I also LOVE this as a lid color; DUPE- NYX Champange but ATG is slightly more of a peachy-champagne while NYX's is more beige-champagne
12. MAC Woodwinked: Veluxe pearl; shimmery golden bronze
13. MAC Go (LE): Starflash finish; shimmery cocoa bronze; DUPE- MAC Tempting



14. NYX Golden: Shimmery, golden yellow; this is from the Yellow Pearl/Antique Gold/Golden trio
15. NYX Antique Gold: Shimmery antique gold
16. NYX Golden: Shimmery orangey-gold; this is from the Golden/Rust/Walnut Bronze trio
17. MAC Satin Taupe*: Frost finish (don't be fooled by the name "frost" because it's not frosty); shimmery cool-toned taupe brown with plum undertones; you have to see it in real life because pics don't do it justice; my favorite color
18. NYX Walnut Bronze: Shimmery brown with dark pinkish-plum undertones
19. Milani Java Bean*: Shimmery warm dark brown; this shadow is a must-have!
20. MAC Glamour Check! (LE): Starflash finish; shimmery burgundy brown; DUPES- the dark color in the L'Oreal HIP Duo in Playful (click here for swatch) or Too Faced Full Frontal

Another look at the 3rd row. The difference between Satin Taupe and Java Bean is more prominent in this picture.




21. NYX Spring Leaf: Shimmery light green
22. NYX Green Tea: Shimmery mid-tone warm green
23. MAC Humid: Frost finish; shimmery hunter green; a must for green lovers; DUPES- NYX Mermaid Green, dark color in Wet n Wild Amazon Greens Trio (click here for swatch), or Milani Clover
24. Wet n Wild Naked: Semi-matte cool brown; great blender color
25. NYX Rootbeer: Satin ashy brown; good brow filler even if it's not matte (somehow it works)
26. elf Dusk: Shimmery black; not too frosty nor glittery


I'd definitely add NYX Sahara because that's my favorite highlight but I have the square single instead of the round pan.

If I had to recommend one color from each of the 5 different brands in my GoTo Palette (labeled with an asterisk in the color descriptions), they would be NYX Highlight, Wet n Wild Fine Wink, MAC Satin Taupe, Milani Java Bean, and elf Dusk. =)

11 comment(s):

charlene-ann said...

hey mama, definitely loving all those colours =)

Marie. said...

NYX Highlight is my favorite highlight color!

Lady Lostris said...

@charlene-ann, thank you sweetie! =D

Lady Lostris said...

@Marie, Highlight is the perfect matte highlight, huh? =) I love Sahara too for something shimmery.

** Beauty and All That said...

Great colors for your GoToPalette! Btw, what brush do you use, if you are even using one, to make your swatches? It's so even!

Lady Lostris said...

@Beauty and All That, thanks girl! Haha you noticed I'm a perfectionist. I used the Bare Escentuals Wet/Dry eyeshadow brush, which is stiffer than most brushes but the bad thing about it is that it's pokey and a little scratchy. I wouldn't recommend it except for nice, straight, even swatches. LoL =P

Stephanie said...

I love this post! I love all the neat swatches! I'm gonna follow you now! :)

Lady Lostris said...

@Stephanie, thank you, dear! It took me a few hours since I use only my left arm to do swatches. I had to remove them, wash & dry my arm, reapply the base and reswatch, then take pics and label...then write the post. It's a lot of work! Haha =)

Giselle said...

i love the palette...but man those swatches are perfect! it would kill me to have to wash those off. lol.

Lady Lostris said...

@giz89, Bwahaha. Thanks for noticing the "perfect" swatches. It took me about 2 hours! =)

Anonymous said...

this is soo awesome. u have da best swatches nd i also like how the palette seems to fade to darker colors =]

 
Lady Lostris Beauty | TNB